Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Vacation Plans Interrupted!

Yesterday was a very upsetting day for me. Upon arriving at work, I was immediately informed that ALL my upcoming vacations were cancelled due to personnel relocations. The reason...they aren't sure IF there will be coverage when I would be gone. Keep in mind, I am planning to leave for Florida next went for a trip that was planned about 8 months ago! My other trips are at the end of March, June and September.

I immediately told my boss that I have airline reservations for all my vacations that had been previously approved along with hotel and car accommodations. He in turn told me that I "would be allowed" to take my vacation next week BUT all my other vacations ( I have 3 weeks) have been cancelled until further notice. And my trip to Florida?  I am not even using any vacation time as I have been working extra hours, I've been called to come in on my days off and like a good employee have gone in!

Now, I don't know about all of you BUT I am a planner. In fact I make definite plans, then make arrangements as in airline tickets, hotel accommodations and car rentals. I pay for the airline tickets at the time I make my reservations and they are non-refundable tickets. If I do change them, there is a $150.00 charge attached, not something I want to incur when I have another 3 trips arranged for this year. 

You might be thinking at this point that ... WOW, that's a lot of trips! In reality, I am only supposed to be working between 24 and 32 hours for medical reasons after my stroke last year. That means, that if I have a full 8 hour day, I should only be working either a 3 or 4 day work week, enough to keep my necessary health insurance along with the monetary earnings. So really along with my 3 weeks of accrued paid vacation, I have "extra" days during the week. 

My trips are a week long or less, quilt retreats in fact. I went last September to one and promised myself that I needed to do this type of activity more often as it was so rejuvenating and good for the soul. I came back so refreshed and invigorated! A trip just for me ...  I finally reached a point in my life that I can do this!

Anyway, back on point...I called my HR department this morning and yes, my boss has this authority to cancel even planned, paid for vacations. Can you believe this? It's all about Corporate and making that $$$. 

Don't get me wrong here, I am very grateful to have a job in this economy but where is that employer to employee relationship? We all have families and a life outside the workplace...I've never worked 24/7 for a corporation and don't plan on starting now. I work hard and put in an honest, full day at work and this is how I am treated ... I'm just another grunt employee, another number on the payroll list. They really don't care...making money is their goal.

Sad commentary on our world...

Elaine

PS: By the way, I will be going on those trips... retirement just might come earlier than expected. I am very blessed that my dear husband is my personal advocate. Along with God, he is my rock that I can lean on during the good and bad times. I AM very blessed...




15 comments:

Rosa Robichaud said...

Oh Elaine... that was quite the mouthful! *s*

So glad you've shared with us. Too bad the Corporate People can't read this...

Glad you're still able to make it to Florida!!!

Rosa

Loris said...

oh man, rough day. I know that kind of frustration. I'm glad the Florida trip is still a 'go' and hope you can work out the others easily. It's good to look at options. Retirement might be a nice one :-)

Mary said...

I'm so glad retirement is a possibility for you and really sorry The Man is treating everyone like this. If it were me, I wouldn't go in on my days off again. Let them hire enough people to get the work done! I hope everything works out for you in a way that you're happy.

Amy R said...

Elaine, I'm so sorry yesterday went so wrong. It continually frustrates me we conscientious employees are asked to go above and beyond and have so much taken away from them (your vacation). I'm still a firm believe that Humans are Resources and need to be valued and cared for. If we mistreat the materials that go into the end product, that product will be much less than is should/could be. Regardless of the economy, your employer should value you for your hard work and dedication. We shouldn't be of the notion that we have no option but to endure a bad situation. So glad your husband is so supportive of you.

Sue said...

Oh Elaine. This is just the same thing I keep hearing over and over again with big corporations. These corporations have forgotten it is people like you who have made them great.

My husband, brother and I own an air-freight business and I can't even imagine doing something like this to our employees. We appreciate every last one of them and that is why they have stayed with us...most of them...for over twenty years.
Hearing this just breaks my heart and it is truly an unfair thing for your employer to do to you.
Hang in there because it's as you said God is our ROCK in times like these. And HE takes care of us in retirement :)

karenfae said...

If you can take retirement I would take it. I can't believe people are like that - and when a vacation has been approved and you paid for stuff already!! They need to re-think their attitude towards their employees.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Kigwit said...

To quote my mom, I would be spitting nails.

I hope it works out so you can take your trips! But how high-handed for them to behave like this!

Jan said...

This certainly is a bummer. I retired early, at 51, for different, non-medical reasons. I've actually been working P/T ever since, because I like to work. I've been at Barnes and Noble for 10 years, now, whenever I need time off, I just let them know.

Louise said...

I hope you are able to work this out with your employer. It does seem quite unfair. Perhaps as you say retirement might be looking a bit more appealing. Life is too short to not be able to enjoy it. I wanted to let you know, regarding the KK Buckley serrated edge scissors..Just got them in the mail last week and I do really like them. Her applique DVD is also very good. I am now ready to begin my first serious applique project.

Sandie ~call me crazy said...

I hope you can have an enjoyable time next week without the thought of this over your head. Maybe by your next trip, your boss will have settled down and you will be able to go again. Retirement sounds nice. ;-)

Jackie said...

What a bad day you must have had! I would go on my trip next month and have a great time. It looks like there is some time before your next scheduled vacation and hopefully things will change before then. It sounds like managements approach is really don't one that keeps Associate Satisfaction in mind. Is there no other alternative or solution? No one to cross train to provide coverage for while you're gone? If you enjoy your job or are reliant on the income and/or benefits I hope that something can be worked out. If there isn't a solution, there may be a bigger issue going on behind the scenes in terms of the viability of the company. I hope it all works out!

Mary said...

Frustrating is an understatement. Hang in there. Take a deep breathe and get on your plane to vacation next week and don't even think about it at all. Things will work out. Why they choose to handle employees this way is beyond me -not very motivating is it???? Take care of yourself.
Mary

Elly D said...

OMGoodness Elaine! You don't need this stress!!
I'm so glad you will get your trip to Florida where you'll be able to chill out and consider your future with this company.
Retirement seems like a healthy option if you can afford it. :))
Take care my friend and enjoy next week ;)) wish I could have been with you. love Ellyx

tich said...

That is really terrible - but retirement is wonderful!!

Brigitte said...

dear Elaine,
I'm so sorry to read about this terrible behavior. Glad you are going to Florida to meet the girls, and retirement is an option. TAKE CARE
Brigitte