Saturday, February 5, 2011

"Rocky Mountain Thimbles"

On my lunch hour at work, I started marking fabric for another hand piecing project. It's called "Rocky Mountain Thimbles". The pattern is from the book "Small Blocks, Stunning Quilts" by Mary Elizabeth Kinch and Biz Storms.
Here is what clip of the quilt...
I have decided to make mine using only Jo Morton fabric, showcasing all of her fabric collections that I have in my stash, my "Tribute to Jo" quilt! The size of the "thimble" measures 1 1/4 inch in height and 1 1/4 inches at the base, perfect to hand piece! This photo shows the cutting line for the "thimble", I still need to mark the 1/4 inch sewing line on the inside portion of the block.
And this is the fabric that I marked during lunch. Hopefully, I will mark the sewing line at lunch tomorrow and get them cut within the next couple of days. It is surprising how doing a little quilt related project at lunch made me feel so relaxed...and what a great way to unwind!
With such gorgeous fabric to use, this is going to be a fabulous project! Don't you agree??

Hugs,

Elaine

10 comments:

Sue said...

I just love that you are also a huge Jo Morton fan! I do believe I have all of her fabric lines! LOL

I love the thimble quilt. It's so sweet and yes, what a great way to relax at lunchtime!

Enjoy your weeekend. I can't wait to see more of your work on this :)

karenfae said...

neat quilt and love the fabrics.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Jackie said...

I see some fabrics that I have and quite a few that I don't. I've just joined her Little Women club for the second time but have acquired quite the collection. Can't wait to see your project progress.

Francien said...

If you would like to take a look at my blog Elaine if you got the time you would see that i took a project out of that gorgious book to this week...i am a log cabin freak so i started that...but the fabric you have choosen for the little timbles from Jo Morton is absolutly stunning...that will be some quilt!!good luck with that..hope you will show us some rows as you make the quilt...greetings Francien.

Rosa Robichaud said...

Okay... is this like a FULL size quilt?!??!

I'm guessing that you'll be able to make LOADS of thimbles!!!!

*VBG*

Glad you're enjoying your break, at work, my friend!

Rosa

Mary said...

I agree - I used to take small quilt projects to work with me. I even stitched on my breaks. This looks like a wonderful project!

Rosie said...

I love your new project and the fabric you have chosen. I am a relatively new hand piecer and I find little pieces particularly difficult. How do you stop and start in such a short space without your stitches pulling out. How many stitches can you sew in the seam to keep everything secure? I sure couldn't do it on some of my dear jane blocks.Is there a special technique?

Jennifer said...

Isn't that a lovely book, I have it too.....haven't made any of the projects yet, though.

Sharon said...

You can't go wrong with the fabrics you have lined up..have to look for the book, looks interesting. Enjoy your project!

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

definitely fabulous. I want to reach through the monitor and touch your cheddars. I spent an hour this morning looking on line for cheddars...nada did find.