Sunday, January 24, 2010

Block Pressing with Jo Morton

Jo's method of pressing blocks...

Jo Morton demonstrated her way of pressing blocks that reduces the bulk of the seams. The blocks lay flat making quilting easier! 

Most blocks that we made in class have a "three-step" process for pressing. With the LeMoyne Star you start with the diamond points and press out then move to the  middle diamond seam pressing counter clock-wise. The center seams are "swirled".


The result a beautiful, flat block!

Sometimes the seam is not "pressed towards the dark" but pressed open. In making the Churn Dash block for "Peppermint Twist" the seam joining the rectangles is pressed open. Then Jo's" clipping trick" is done at the seam intersection  which is then also pressed open.


Another flat block...


Jo showed several different blocks and how they can be pressed to make it lay flay and easier to quilt. Here is the Bear Paw block... notice where you clip the seam intersection.

I learned that seams can be pressed open, especially for quilts that don't get a lot of heavy use as in a wall hanging. 

The block back...seams open!

The pressing techniques I learned in class were very valuable, especially for those small blocks that we love to make! 

More great tips and techniques learned from Jo Morton...her classes were fabulous!  So much to see, touch and especially learn!

What a great experience this was for me with Jo at "Road to California"
Life is good...

5 comments:

Anita said...

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for sharing Jo's block pressing techniques! I have mentioned your post on my blog and have linked to it, too. I bet it was a wonderful workshop.

Anita Horovenko
Three Ducks on a Roof
www.threeducksonaroof.com

Terry said...

Thanks for sharing all the pressing techs, they will be very helpful. And the blocks are wonderful "eye candy"!!!!

Hugs & Blessings

paulette said...

Wow!! Sounds like you had such a wonderful time at the RD to CAl and learned a lot from Jo!! You sound so inspired now!! Take care!
Paulette

ranette said...

I've loved all of your "Jo" posts....thank you for sharing with all of us Elaine!

Sharon said...

What a great post, it's good to be reminded of good techniques. I said it before, I loved my Jo class. It changed my quilting processes and my work is better for this.