Friday, January 15, 2010

LeMoyne Star Revisted

Day 2 at "Road to California" was another class in LeMoyne Star with Jo Morton! It was great to have another day to "practice" the technique of hand piecing the star and pressing it "Jo's Way".

Jo's method of pressing allows for the seams to be distributed in such a way that when it's time to quilt you don't have a bulky seam to go through with your needle. It also makes it easier to machine quilt! The center of the LeMoyne star is swirled, a little difficult at first but over time I'm sure that it will get easier! The end result is really worth the effort and time!

My 2nd star went together much faster than my first one...


Notice how the center of the block "swirls"... ironing is a three step process. The outside points, the middle diamond seam and then the center. It really makes a difference for a flat block!
I meet some wonderful people from the "Jo Morton Stitcher's" group from Yahoo. Kristi from Livermore brought some quilts for "Show and Tell". As you can see they were all fabulous!



Thanks Kristie for sharing!


It was another great day ... learning, sewing, sharing and visiting!
Life is good at "Road to California"! Wish you were all here...

7 comments:

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

I am loving this show and tell. More more more!!

Mary said...

lovely blocks!

taylorsoutback said...

Thanks for continuing to share your Jo Morton retreat photos...love seeing what you are doing, the show and tell and that Cinnamon Stars is so beautiful!

Christie said...

Wish we were there too! HUGS... and stitches

Frummie said...

Oh Elaine,
Now I really sad I didn't get to go.
The projects are wonderful! I have gotten back to hand stitching and do most with Inklingo.
I am so glad you are enjoying yourself.

dianne said...

ooooh - pretty!

Loris said...

Thank you, Elaine! Great pics and technique tips. I'm glad you are having a great time. Love the show and tell pictures.