Friday, January 22, 2010

Jo's Peppermint Twist Class


"Peppermint Twist" was my next class with Jo Morton at "Road to California" This quilt is absolutely beautiful...and to have the opportunity to "feel and touch" it was wonderful! I love to the "feel" of quilt's, don't you?
The first part of class was to learn back-basting needleturn applique. This was a new technique for me and was thrilled that I would have the chance to learn it from Jo!

This is Jo's...nice even stitches!


Close up of the center applique in Jo's quilt. I found that this technique "works" for me. I have an easier time than just basting down or gluing the applique and then doing the needleturn. The back-basting method leaves a perforation in the fabric that it makes it easier to turn without clipping the seam.

Beautiful appliqued center that "makes" this quilt so interesting!

And a couple of my "Churn Dash" blocks that I made in class the next day.

And the back showing Jo's clipping technique and pressing.

Another great class with Jo Morton! Pinch me... this all must have been a dream as I have been in "Quilter's Heaven" all week!
I am so blessed to have had this opportunity to take classes with Jo!

Life is good...







8 comments:

karenfae said...

I tried back basting once last year after I heard about it, I guess I am too set in my ways though and just like plain old needle turn :) nice that you got to take a class from someone that you admire.
I do love that center applique block.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

Love it! the post is quite delightful, love your blocks too.

Taylorsoutback said...

The pink quilt with the appliqued center sure has my heart rate up! How beautiful. I gave the back basting method a go but need to return to it again for more exploration. I was taught traditional needle turn but think this other approach definitely has its place.
Thanks for sharing & keep those photos coming!

Lea said...

Oh, It is so beautiful... and I agree with you, the medallion apprique block add charm on this quilt.
Your blocks are so lovely. Way to go, Elaine!

FeatherDuster said...

I love her designs. Lucky you.

ranette said...

I'm going to have investigate back basting...sounds interesting. Looks like a fun class and thanks for the close-ups of Jo's quilt.

Loris said...

Gorgeous quilt! I hope to learn back basting someday. so far it hasn't made sense to me...prolly need to see it in person.
I'm glad you had such an awesome time. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Sharon said...

Can't wait to see your Peppermint Twist all finished! I made one, but renamed it Cinnamon Twist. Don't you just love the clipping and pressing tips that Jo shows you? Enjoyed looking at all your pics from the classes...so much fun!