Sunday, January 3, 2010

Driving the Coast ... Highway 1, December 26th


We decided to take a drive up the coast...no destination in mind, no real plans, just a drive! We had a fabulous time, the scenery was breathtaking!


San Simeon...home to Hearst Castle.

We ate lunch here at "Sebastian's", est. 1852 ... the food was fresh and delicious! Jim and I enjoyed a Hot Pastrami on rye...absolutely wonderful! This is across Highway 1 from Hearst Castle and was written up in the "Central Coast Magazine" as one of the best places to get a sandwich ... and it was THE BEST!

It is an old grocery store...

After lunch we got back on Highway 1...next destination Elephant Seals on the beach at Piedras Blancas in southern Big Sur near San Simeon.
 
Stay tuned...


5 comments:

karenfae said...

pretty places! I love hot pastrami on rye (& spicy mustard) the seals are so neat.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

paulette said...

Hi Elaine!
I am in the Pismo Beach area-GORGEOUS is an understatement!! Love it here and it looks like you live here! Lucky you! We are exploring the area....can you recommend any quilt shops..
Take care!
Paulette

Loris said...

It was beautiful that day, wasn't it? I've enjoyed Sebastion's too. Fun place!

Rosa Robichaud said...

Gosh, I almost felt like I was with you guys!!! *grin*

Actually, those animals reminded me of "moi", when I go to the beach!

LOL

Tks for sharing pics, my friend!

Rosa

Miri said...

We did the drive on Highway 1 to San Simeon a few years ago...even took a tour of the Castle-interesting and a little bizarre...too bad we didn't know about the sandwish place.