Friday, January 15, 2010

Cinnamon Stars with Jo Morton

My "Jo Morton Retreat Week" week at" Road to California" continued with instruction on a quilt Jo designed called "Cinnamon Stars". It's published in her "Vintage Journey" quilt book. For this class we learned how to make flying geese, using Jo's "no waste fabric" method of construction.

And it was another GREAT class. This time we used the sewing machine and as you can see I am ready to get started!

A full class for "Cinnamon Stars".

My Sawtooth blocks...I was able to get three done in class!

Again Jo emphasized the importance of a good pressing techinque and her "clipping method" to reduce the seam bulk. This shows the back of one of my blocks.

A close up photo of Jo's "Cinnamon Stars"... it's gorgeous don't you agree?

Another great class with Jo ... and again I feel so blessed to have had this opportunity to take classes from Jo! She is THE BEST!

Don't forget to enter my "Road to California" Give-A-Way from my previous post. Jo has generously donated an item to be included! You have until Monday, January 18th to enter.
Life is good at Road to California!

16 comments:

Christie said...

Jo IS the best! Your blocks turned out really well. Continue having fun and keep us posted! HUGS.... and stitches

ranette said...

Very nice blocks....keep having fun!

paulette said...

Wow!Your blocks are wonderful!! What fun!! The Road to Cal. was OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! Loved every moment!
Are you there for two more days?? Lucky you!!!
Paulette

karenfae said...

good pressing sure helps doesn't it when there are a lot of seams on the back. Lovely quilt.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting about your class with Jo. I do hope to be able to take a class again some day with her. I really enjoyed the one I took two years ago..The quilt is lovely. Is that a "301" Singer I spy..I have one and love it! Louise

Frummie said...

Hi Elaine,
I love your quilt. Is that part of your give a way...LOL
Frummie

Amy R said...

Elaine! Way to go on getting 3 blocks done~ And, just curious: What kind of machine do you have? I have a featherweight, but yours looks just a little different.

dianne said...

Cinnamon Stars is AWESOME! makes me want a piece of cinnamon toast ... and some cinnamon muffins ... and a cinnamon roll ... and some cinnamon coffee ... and ... well ... some cinnamon FABRIC

Julia said...

You are so lucky to have a class with Jo...Your blocks are wonderful!! Julia ♥

PatchworkRose said...

I just wish that I could have a class with Jo too :-) Just so love your stars
Cheers
Lynne

WoolenSails said...

I had to say, this quilt is gorgeous. I love the colors and fabrics she used. Your blocks really came out beautifully.

Debbie

Rosa Robichaud said...

We've been reading your blog and drooling over the fantastic lessons and friendships that you've had!

Thanks for sharing, Elaine.... my "precious" friend. *VBG*

Rosa

Loris said...

Oh that is a rich looking quilt! Hawt dawg...I have that book :-)
I love seeing Jo's fabrics in all those blocks. What a great time for you there. Thank you so much for including 'us' !

Marianna said...

Count me in on the give away and if I am really lucky I will ...... sew sew sew. Jo is a wonderful gal and I am busy washing some new Jo fabric right now.... Faithful Quilter you keep on bloggin' as I enjoy you too.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Wow, how fun is that to have a workshop by Jo Morton? That would really be fun, but although I live in Ontario, it's just a little too far :-). Love your black 301 too :-).

Jacqui in Canada

Jaye said...

I saw the episode with Fons & Porter last night and would like to know the measurements of the squares for her flying geese method. I am making two quilts for the San Bruno (CA) fire victims. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.