Saturday, November 7, 2009

Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse, Kennebunkport & Lobster Rolls...Oh My!




Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in Maine. It is also one of the most beautiful cast-iron lighthouses in New England and remains an active aid to navigation.  The optic and related equipment are still maintained by the Coast Guard.

Absolutely beautiful setting...the day was gorgeous! We walked around the lighthouse, got a few souvenirs at the gift shop and then made our way back to the bus. Next stop...Kennebunkport!

Call "the most photographed home in the state of Maine" The Wedding Cake House, known locally as the George W. Bourne House. The home was built in 1825 by shipbuilder George W. Bourne. A romantic legend arose that the carving was done during lonely hours aboard ship by a recently married sea captain who had to leave his bride before he even had time to eat his wedding cake! Great sentiment but never-the-less only a legend!


Center of downtown Kennebunkport. Beautiful town...fall colors were gorgeous! Nice shops and everyone so friendly! Another place I would like to re-visit.

Time for lunch and we are hearing that we must try a lobster roll and a slice of blueberry pie! The local blueberries are the lowbush variety. They are  smaller and very sweet compared to our local blueberries that we have on the central coast of California.



We chose the Pilot House Restaurant on the recommendation from our Tour Guide and she was right! Great lobster rolls and New England clam chowder! Dessert was Blueberry Pie with ice cream...fabulous!

7 comments:

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Gorgeous photos...Lobster roll humm I've never had one! Maybe one day I will.

Pat

ranette said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip Elaine. I loved Kennebunkport when we were back East a couple of years ago and I'd also like to go back. Thank you for all of the pictures in your last few posts.

karenfae said...

Maine is one state that I have barely been in and plan to go one day. The lighthouse looks so pretty and the old houses too. Have fun on your trip!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

be*mused jan said...

You're making me homesick! I grew up in the next town over, Biddeford, and when we were young, we'd always ask to drive by the wedding cake house on our way home from the beach.
Lobster rolls...mmmmm. Haven't had a good one in years. I'm living in Chicago now but you're tempting me to throw a few things in a suitcase and take a long drive. ;-)

dianne said...

thank you so much for sharing your journey! my sister visited Maine with her son a few years ago and had a fantastic time - but she didn't take such cool pictures ... it's almost like being there ... ALMOST!

arlette said...

I envy you, lol, not really!!!, I'd like to see lighthouses "in person", you did the trip in a very good time the fall with the colors of the leaves... just gorgeous! thank you for sharing :)

Rosa Robichaud said...

I am now scrimping and scrounging my monies to be able to go on a shop hop (quilt stoees), in April... in the south of Maine.... *grin*

Tks for the pictures, my friend!

Rosa